plumber bristol


A Gas safety Certificate (CP12) , also commonly referred to as a Gas safety Record, is a document that confirms a Gas Safety check has been performed on gas appliances by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer in the property you are letting.

plumber bristol bristol


It can vary, depending on how many gas appliances need checking, and location.

Typically, prices range from £60 – £100. From my experience, the price is largely dependent on location (i.e. London tends to be more expensive). My most recent gas safety check cost £70. The property is based on the outskirts of London, and appliances checked was a gas boiler and gas oven/cooker.

It’s always best to shop around. I received an initial quote for £80, which was evidently a bit pricey.

To put it nicely, I know a lot of landlords like to keep their hands firmly in their pockets. However, this is one expense which I would highly recommend not to avoid because the consequences are just far too great.


Gas Safety Certificate

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

A Gas safety Certificate (CP12) , also commonly referred to as a Gas safety Record, is a document that confirms a Gas Safety check has been performed on gas appliances by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer in the property you are letting.

Landlord’s responsibility for Gas Safety

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities related to gas safety:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. All work must be serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

  • Gas Safety Checks/Certificates: an annual (12 monthly) gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue provided with the property. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use, and then supply a certificate.

  • Record: landlords must provide their tenant with a copy of the gas safety certificate within 28 days of the check being completed, and new tenants should receive a copy before they move in.

Which appliances our checked?

Any gas appliance that the landlord supplies with the property MUST be safety checked. This includes appliances such as gas ovens, gas ovens, and handheld appliances that use gas.

If the tenant brings their own gas appliance into the property, it is not the landlord's responsibility to ensure they are gas safe.

Do I need a Gas Safety Certificate?

Yes, if the property comes with gas appliances, it is the landlord’s legal obligation.

The Gas Safety Regulations 1998 place a statutory duty on all landlords of residential property to ensure that all gas appliances, pipe work and flues are maintained in a safe condition.

When do I renew my gas safety inspection?

Gas Safety Certificate’s last for 12 months, so a safety check on all gas appliances needs to be done on an annual basis.

However, up until April 6th, 2018, a Gas Safety Certificate would last for 12 months from the day the engineer performed the inspection. This meant that landlords would often get a check done every 10-11 months just to be safe.

However, this has since changed, because it meant that landlords would end up overlapping and essentially paying more. So now, a gas safety inspection performed in the 2 months prior to the expiry of the current Certificate is treated as having been performed on the last day of the existing certificate.

You do not need a new Gas Safety Certificate for each time new tenants move in, or when there has been a brand-new installation of gas appliances.

Do I need one per rental home?

Yes. You need a Gas Safety Certificate per rental property. So, if you have a portfolio of 12 properties, you will need a separate Gas Safety Certificate’s for each property.

What if I don’t have a Gas Safety Certificate?

As mentioned, the Gas Safety Check is a legal requirement, so failing conduct a Gas Safety Check could mean you’re providing an unsafe property, which can lead to financial penalties and even imprisonment.

Emergency Plumber

Whether you are looking to service your boiler, replace your boiler or move from ‘oil to gas’ it is essential to find the right heating engineer to undertake any work. A professional heating engineer will provide you with all the information and advice you need to consider your options. They will supply quotes and provide peace of mind that all work is carried out to proper standards.

It is essential you use a Gas Safe registered engineer to install, service or check gas appliances including boilers. To carry out work on gas installations and appliances safely and legally, gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register.

Call 01173 698 067

Plumbers Near Me

A number of our key locations are listed below, but if you're unsure from our locations map whether we can send an engineer to your home, please contact our customer service team on 01225 240 230.

Southwest Plumbers Emergency Key locations

Find us on social media

contact us